Call to Artists: 27th Annual Maritime Art Exhibit
Coos Art Museum continues its tradition of hosting an annual Maritime Art Exhibition on the scenic southern Oregon Coast. Coinciding with the opening of this annual maritime art exhibit is the Plein-Air/Paint out event for maritime painters. A day of painting outdoors on the Coos Bay; city docks, shipyards, boat basins, sandy beaches, rocky coves, rugged shorelines, dramatic cliffs, lush rain forests and cultured gardens that are all within 10 miles of the Coos Art Museum. The 27th Annual Maritime Art Exhibition is officially recognized and co-sponsored by the American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA).
Featured Artist: Kimberly Wurster, a native of western Montana, moved to the Oregon coast in 1995. Prior to this move Kimberly, with her husband Scott, developed wildlife refuges in Montana, turning unproductive ranch wetlands into prime habitat for waterfowl and trout. A classical cellist for over 30 years, Kimberly shifted her artistic focus in 1995 to painting fine art. Wurster creates her paintings primarily in watercolor and pastel, sometimes using ink and other forms of mixed media. Her work has earned numerous awards for excellence in domestic and international competitions.
Juror: Don McMichael served 20 years in the United States Coast Guard before retiring to pursue his art career. While in the Coast Guard he developed a deep respect and admiration for the ocean and the underwater world of marine wildlife. Best known for his depictions of whales and other marine mammals Don has exhibited his art throughout the United States and abroad, and has received awards from such notable exhibitions as the Audubon Society and Mystic Seaport during their annual international shows. He is also an artist member of the American Society of Marine Artists, artist member of the United States Coast Guard Artist’s Group, avid supporter of the Cousteau Society, Center for Whale Studies and other marine conservation organizations.
Juror: Jon Olson is a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists and a regular participant in the Annual Maritime Art Exhibitions at the Coos Art Museum. A former Professor of Anthropology and the grandson of a ship builder Jon infuses his works with true historical accuracy yet he also produces plein air works in a free manner. Additionally, Jon is recognized as an accomplished maritime miniaturist. He has been accepted numerous times into the Mystic Seaport International Maritime Exhibit and received a first place in oils and acrylics in the 2005 International show of the Washington, D.C. Society of Miniature Artists, Sculptors and Gravers.
Juror: Richard Boyer is a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists living in Salt Lake City, Utah. He graduated from the University of Utah and while there had an opportunity to study portrait and figure painting under Alvin Gittins. Boyer was featured on the cover of “American Artist” in 2004 and on the cover of “International Artist Magazine” in 2006. Among the many awards he has received are the Art Times Award from the Salmagundi Club in New York and the Stobart Foundation Award at the Twenty-third Annual Mystic International Exhibition. Boyer has work in the collections of Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic Connecticut and is represented by galleries in Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.
- Open to all artists producing original maritime themed art works in painting and sculpture, including members of American Society of Marine artists and International Society of Marine Painters.
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art.
- Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
- Submissions are to be ‘recent works’, ones that have been created within the past five (5) years (created in 2014 or newer).
- Works that are accepted must be the same as the digital images entered.
- Paintings – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction this includes the frame and weight limitation of 20 lbs.
- Sculpture – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction and weight limitation of 25 lbs.
- Prints (photo serigraphs, digital or giclée) and photography are not eligible.
Coos Art Museum
235 Anderson Avenue Coos Bay, Oregon 97420
phone: 541-267-3901, fax: 541-267-4877 www.coosart.org
Submission by digital files on compact disk, flash drive or memory card.
Artist may submit a total of up to three (3) entries with a single, non-refundable entry fee of $40.
- Digital files must be in jpg format minimum of 300 dpi at approximately 5” x 7” – 8” x 10” all on one CD-ROM, flash drive or memory card. All devices must be labeled, on the outside, with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, date completed, and size of the artwork. Name the electronic files as follows:
A_title of work.jpg
B_title of work.jpg
Abbreviate as needed on the electronic file name, but be sure the entry form has complete information.
- NO SLIDE SHOWS, THUMBNAILS etc.
- NO SUBMISSIONS VIA EMAIL WILL BE ALLOWED
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art. Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
All information on the original entry as to title, size and price must remain the same on the accepted entry. Entries must be original in concept, composition and execution. Artwork created under the supervision of an instructor is not eligible. Artwork must not be copied, in part or wholly from any published or copyrighted work
Submissions deadline is a postmark of April 25, 2020. Include a check or money order for $40 for up to 3 entries, made out to the Coos Art Museum (non-refundable entry fee) with the submissions and completed entry form. Send to: Coos Art Museum, 235 Anderson Ave., Coos Bay, OR 97420. ATTN: Maritime. Include with your entry a resume and a self-addressed, 6×9 stamped envelope (SASE) for submission returns, acceptance letter and shipping info / rejection letter information.
Notice of acceptance/rejection will be sent via US MAIL by May 15, 2020.
General Specifications for Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding artwork specifications will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, all accepted painted works must be framed and ready for hanging prior to arrival, and be no more than 60 inches in any one direction, including the frame, nor weigh more than 20 lbs. All accepted sculptures, must be no more than 60 inches in any one direction nor weigh more than 35 lbs. All accepted works will be insured by the Museum from time of arrival until departure.
Works in the exhibition may be available for sale. Artist agrees to donate 30% of any sale to Coos Art Museum. Artist is to be paid three weeks from end of show. Please price your works with this in mind. Sales made from the Museum are final. Your entry confirms all terms of this agreement.
Shipping of Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding shipping will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, each accepted artist is responsible for the cost of transporting artwork to and from the Coos Art Museum. A $20 handling fee will be charged by the Museum for artwork that is shipped to the Museum without prepaid arrangements or prepaid shipping label in addition to shipping charges. The handling fee covers the time and effort to uncrate, inventory, tag, re-crate works of art and to work with couriers and shipping companies.
Judging and Awards:
Panel of 3 maritime artists will jury the submissions. 7 awards will be given out at the dinner, awards, and art auction event following the Plein Air Paint out on Saturday, July13, 2019.
- Best of Show will receive a cash prize of $750.00 – selected by Featured Artist.
- Oregon International Port of Coos Bay Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by Port Official.
- Coos Art Museum Board of Directors Choice will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by CAM Board.
- People’s Choice Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by a vote of museum attendees.
- 4 – Honorable Mention awards
- April 25, 2020 – Deadline for submissions sent to Coos Art Museum.
- May 15, 2020 – Notification of acceptance/rejection and return of non-selected submissions.
- June 13, 2020 – Deadline for registration for Plein-Air Paint Out and Dinner.
- June 27, 2020 – Deadline for receiving accepted artwork.
- July 11, 2020 – Plein Air Paint Out, dinner, awards, and art auction.
- Sept. 26, 2020 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 4 – 6 pm.
- Sept.27, 2020 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 10am – 12:30pm.
- Sept. 29, 2020 – October 2, 2020 – Artwork returned via couriers.
Submission Check off list:
- Entry form filled out.
- CD, flash drive or memory card with images.
- SASE – Return self-addressed, 6×9 stamped envelope (with return postage for at least 2 ounces).
- Check to CAM for $40.00 for up to three submissions.