Saturday, July 9 – Saturday, September 24, 2016
Submission deadline: postmarked by Saturday, May 7, 2016
Coos Art Museum continues its tradition of hosting an annual Maritime Art Exhibition on the scenic southern Oregon Coast. Coinciding with the opening of this annual maritime art exhibit is the Plein-Air/Paint out event for maritime painters. A day of painting outdoors on the Coos Bay; the city docks, shipyards, boat basins, sandy beaches, rocky coves, rugged shorelines, dramatic cliffs, lush rain forests and cultured gardens that are all within 10 miles of the Coos Art Museum. The 23rd Annual Maritime Art Exhibition is officially recognized and co-sponsored by the American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA).
Featured Artist: William A. Selden is a resident of Coos Bay and a past participant and winner of many awards from Annual Maritime Art Exhibitions. In 2011 he received “Best of Show”. In 2010 he received the “People’s Choice Award” while in 2008 he received both the “Port Award” selected by the Oregon International Port of Coos Bay and the “Director’s Award,” selected by the museum’s Board of Directors. Bill received a formal art education at both the California Institute of Arts (Chouinard) and the Art Center College of Design. He is a Member of the American Society of Marine Artists. Along with his large oil landscapes and seascapes Mr. Selden is best known for his celebrity portraits.
Juror: Donald Demers of Eliot Maine, is a Fellow of the American Society of Marine Artists an elected member of the Guild of Boston Artists, an elected member of the California Art Club, and a signature member of Plein Air Painters of America. He studied art at the School of the Worcester Art Museum, and the Massachusetts College of Art in Boston. Don has hands-on maritime experience as a crewmember aboard many traditional sailing vessels including schooners and square-riggers. He has won a record seventeen awards at the Mystic International Marine Art Exhibition. Demers’ paintings have been featured in a number of publications including American Artist magazine, Artist magazine, Plein Air magazine, and Fine Art Connoisseur.
Juror: Jeffrey Hull of Cannon Beach, Oregon is a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists. In 2014 he received the “People’s Choice Award”. At the Museum’s 21st Annual Maritime Art Exhibition. Hull has been a frequent participant in past Coos Art Museum Annual Maritime Art Exhibitions and has been featured on Oregon Art Beat an Emmy award winning weekly television series produced by Oregon Public Broadcasting. In 1987, Jeff and his wife Carol opened their own art gallery. It is located on the second level of Sandpiper Square in downtown Cannon Beach.
Juror: Debra Huse is a resident of Costa Mesa, California and is a Signature Member with the American Society of Marine Artists, the Pastel Society of America, The Laguna Plein Air Painters and the American Impressionist Society. As a contemporary Impressionist, she uses rich color and bold fluid strokes to capture the light and drama in her paintings. At age 12, she was awarded a scholarship and attended college courses at the prestigious John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis. Huse travels most of the year to various locations nationwide capturing scenes on location and has a working studio in a Southern California boatyard.
• Open to all artists producing original maritime themed art works in painting and sculpture, including members of American Society of Marine artists and International Society of Marine Painters.
• If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art.
• Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
• Submissions are to be ‘recent works’, ones that have been created within the past five (5) years (created in 2011 or newer).
• Works that are accepted must be the same as the digital images entered.
• Paintings – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction this includes the frame and weight limitation of 20 lbs.
• Sculpture – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction and weight limitation of 25 lbs.
• Prints (photo serigraphs, digital or giclée) and photography are not eligible.
Coos Art Museum
235 Anderson Avenue Coos Bay, Oregon 97420
phone: 541-267-3901, fax: 541-267-4877 www.coosart.org
Submission by digital files on compact disk.
Artist may submit a total of up to three (3) entries with a single, non-refundable entry fee of $35.
• Digital files must be in jpg format minimum of 300 dpi at approximately 5” x 7” – 8” x 10” all on one CD-ROM. All CD’s must be labeled, on the outside, with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, date completed, and size of the artwork. Name the electronic files as follows:
A_title of work.jpg
B_title of work.jpg
Abbreviate as needed on the electronic file name, but be sure the entry form has complete information.
• NO SLIDE SHOWS, FLASH FILES, THUMBNAILS etc.
• NO SUBMISSIONS VIA EMAIL WILL BE ALLOWED
• If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art. Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
All information on the original entry as to title, size and price must remain the same on the accepted entry. Entries must be original in concept, composition and execution. Artwork created under the supervision of an instructor is not eligible. Artwork must not be copied, in part or wholly from any published or copyrighted work.
Submissions deadline is a postmark of May 7, 2016, received no later than May 13, 2016. Include a check or money order for $35 for up to 3 entries, made out to the Coos Art Museum (non-refundable entry fee) with the submissions and completed entry form. Send to: Coos Art Museum, 235 Anderson Ave., Coos Bay, OR 97420. ATTN: Maritime. Include with your entry a resume and a self-addressed, 6×9 stamped envelope (SASE) for submission returns, acceptance letter and shipping info / rejection letter information.
Notice of acceptance/rejection will be sent via US MAIL by May 27, 2016.
General Specifications for Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding artwork specifications will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, all accepted painted works must be framed and ready for hanging prior to arrival, and be no more than 60 inches in any one direction, including the frame, nor weigh more than 20 lbs. All accepted sculptures, must be no more than 60 inches in any one direction nor weigh more than 25 lbs. All accepted works will be insured by the Museum from time of arrival until departure.
Works in the exhibition may be available for sale. Artist agrees to donate 30% of any sale to Coos Art Museum. Artist is to be paid three weeks from end of show. Please price your works with this in mind. Sales made from the Museum are final. Your entry confirms all terms of this agreement.
Shipping of Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding shipping will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, each accepted artist is responsible for the cost of transporting artwork to and from the Coos Art Museum. A $20 handling fee will be charged by the Museum for artwork that is shipped to the Museum without prepaid arrangements or prepaid shipping label in addition to shipping charges. The handling fee covers the time and effort to uncrate, inventory, tag, re-crate works of art and to work with couriers and shipping companies.
Judging and Awards:
Panel of 3 maritime artists will jury the submissions. 4 awards will be given out at the dinner, awards, and art auction event following the Plein Air Paint out on Saturday, July 9, 2016.
• Best of Show will receive a cash prize of $750.00 – selected by, Featured Artist.
• Oregon International Port of Coos Bay Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by Port Official.
• Coos Art Museum Board of Directors Choice will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by CAM Board.
• People’s Choice Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by a vote of museum attendees.
• May 7, 2016 – Deadline for submissions sent to Coos Art Museum.
• May 27, 2016 – Notification of acceptance/rejection and return of non-selected submissions.
• June 18, 2016 – Deadline for registration for Plein-Air Paint Out and Dinner.
• July 2, 2016 – Deadline for receiving accepted artwork.
• July 9, 2016 – Plein Air Paint Out, dinner, awards, and art auction.
• September 24, 2016 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 4 – 6 pm.
• September 25, 2016 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 10am – 12:30pm.
• September 27 – October 30, 2016 – Artwork returned via couriers.
Submission Check off list:
• Entry form filled out.
• CD with images.
• Return self-addressed, 6×9 stamped envelope (SASE).
• Check to CAM for $35.00 for up to three submissions.
Submission deadline: postmarked by Saturday, May 7, 2016