Saturday, July 12 – Saturday, September 27, 2014
Submission deadline: postmarked by Saturday, May 3, 2014
Coos Art Museum continues its tradition of hosting an annual Maritime Art Exhibition on the scenic southern Oregon Coast. Coinciding with the opening of this annual maritime art exhibit is the Plein-Air/Paint out event for maritime painters. A day of painting outdoors on the Coos Bay; the city docks, shipyards, boat basins, sandy beaches, rocky coves, rugged shorelines, dramatic cliffs, lush rain forests and cultured gardens that are all within 10 miles of the Coos Art Museum. The 21st Annual Maritime Art Exhibition is officially recognized and co-sponsored by the American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA).
Featured Artist: Richard Boyer is a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists and is living in Salt Lake City, Utah. He graduated from the University of Utah and while there had an opportunity to study portrait and figure painting under Alvin Gittins. Boyer was featured on the cover of “American Artist” in 2004 and on the cover of “International Artist Magazine” in 2006. Among the many awards he has received are the Art Times Award from the Salmagundi Club in New York and the Stobart Foundation Award at the Twenty-third Annual Mystic International Exhibition. Boyer has work in the collections of Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic Connecticut and is represented by galleries in Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.
Juror: Marshall Johnson of Federal Way, Washington is a Life Member of the Northwest Watercolor Society and a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists. Public and private collections of his works are in the Space Needle, Boeing Company, the Foss Maritime collection and in the Pentagon. He is a graduate of the University of Washington and Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles. Johnson has served as juror for many exhibitions, most recently the “Tall Ships” show hosted by the Washington State History Museum in Tacoma.
Juror: Ray Hunter of Santa Barbara, California is known for his textural watercolors. He is a Signature Member of the California Watercolor Association, Artist Member of the California Art Club and a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists. A graduate of Eastern Montana College in Billings, he continued private art studies under Jerry Stitt, Deanne Lemley, Charles Reid, William Ryan and others. His work has been shown in numerous local, regional and national shows. In 2007 Hunter won the Grand Prize in the Paint the Parks competition.
Juror: Frank Gaffney of Mountlake Terrace, Washington is a Signature Member and past president of The Puget Sound Group of Northwest Painters and a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists. He is also a member of the Oil Painters of America and Coast Guard Art Program. He attended the Cornish School of Allied Arts in Seattle and the University of Washington. A frequent participant in Coos Art Museum’s Annual Maritime Art Exhibition, Gaffney received an Award of Merit in 2008 and 2010 and the Directors Award in 2009.
- Open to all artists producing original maritime themed art works in painting and sculpture, including members of American Society of Marine artists and International Society of Marine Painters.
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art.
- Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
- Submissions are to be ‘recent works’, ones that have been created within the past five (5) years (created in 2009 or newer).
- Works that are accepted must be the same as the digital images entered.
- Paintings – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction this includes the frame and weight limitation of 20 lbs.
- Sculpture – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction and weight limitation of 25 lbs.
- Prints (photo serigraphs, digital or giclée) and photography are not eligible.
Submission by digital files on compact disk.
Artist may submit a total of up to three (3) entries with a single, non-refundable entry fee of $35.
- Digital files must be in jpg format minimum of 300 dpi at approximately 5” x 7” – 8” x 10” all on one CD-ROM. All CD’s must be labeled, on the outside, with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, date completed, and size of the artwork. Name the electronic files as follows:
A_title of work.jpg
B_title of work.jpg
Abbreviate as needed on the electronic file name, but be sure the entry form has complete information.
- NO SLIDE SHOWS, FLASH FILES, THUMBNAILS etc.
- NO SUBMISSIONS VIA EMAIL WILL BE ALLOWED
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art. Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
All information on the original entry as to title, size and price must remain the same on the accepted entry. Entries must be original in concept, composition and execution. Artwork created under the supervision of an instructor is not eligible. Artwork must not be copied, in part or wholly from any published or copyrighted work.
Submissions deadline is a postmark of May 3, 2014, received no later than May 9, 2014. Include a check or money order for $35 for up to 3 entries, made out to the Coos Art Museum (non-refundable entry fee) with the submissions and completed entry form. Send to: Coos Art Museum, 235 Anderson Ave., Coos Bay, OR 97420. ATTN: Maritime. Include with your entry a resume and a self-addressed, 6×9 stamped envelope (SASE) for submission returns, acceptance letter and shipping info / rejection letter information.
Notice of acceptance/rejection will be sent via US MAIL by May 23, 2014.
General Specifications for Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding artwork specifications will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, all accepted painted works must be framed and ready for hanging prior to arrival, and be no more than 60 inches in any one direction, including the frame, nor weigh more than 20 lbs. All accepted sculptures, must be no more than 60 inches in any one direction nor weigh more than 25 lbs. All accepted works will be insured by the Museum from time of arrival until departure.
Works in the exhibition may be available for sale. Artist agrees to donate 30% of any sale to Coos Art Museum. Artist is to be paid three weeks from end of show. Please price your works with this in mind. Sales made from the Museum are final. Your entry confirms all terms of this agreement.
Shipping of Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding shipping will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, each accepted artist is responsible for the cost of transporting artwork to and from the Coos Art Museum. A $20 handling fee will be charged by the Museum for artwork that is shipped to the Museum without prepaid arrangements or prepaid shipping label in addition to shipping charges. The handling fee covers the time and effort to uncrate, inventory, tag, re-crate works of art and to work with couriers and shipping companies.
Judging and Awards:
Panel of 3 maritime artists will jury the submissions. 4 awards will be given out at the dinner, awards, and art auction event following the Plein Air Paint out on Saturday, July 12, 2014.
- Best of Show will receive a cash prize of $750.00 – selected by, Featured Artist.
- Oregon International Port of Coos Bay Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by Port Official.
- Coos Art Museum Board of Directors Choice will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by CAM Board.
- People’s Choice Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by a vote of museum attendees.
- May 3, 2014 – Deadline for submissions sent to Coos Art Museum. Download the Entry Form.
- May 23, 2014 – Notification of acceptance/rejection and return of non-selected submissions.
- June 14, 2014 – Deadline for registration for Plein-Air Paint Out and Dinner.
- July 5, 2014 – Deadline for receiving accepted artwork.
- July 12, 2014 – Plein Air Paint Out, dinner, awards, and art auction.
- September 27, 2014 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 4 – 6 pm.
- September 28, 2014 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 10am – 12:30pm.
- September 30 – October 3, 2014 – Artwork returned via couriers.