Exhibit Dates: Saturday, August 3 – Saturday, October 5, 2013
Submission deadline: postmarked by Saturday, May 4, 2013 (Download the Entry Form pdf)
Coos Art Museum continues its tradition of hosting an annual Maritime Art Exhibition on the scenic southern Oregon Coast. Coinciding with the opening of this annual maritime art exhibit is the Plein-Air/Paint out event for maritime painters. A day of painting outdoors on the Coos Bay; the city docks, shipyards, boat basins, sandy beaches, rocky coves, rugged shorelines, dramatic cliffs, lush rain forests and cultured gardens that are all within 10 miles of the Coos Art Museum. The 20th Annual Maritime Art Exhibition is officially recognized and co-sponsored by the American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA).
Featured Artist: John Stobart, Fellow Emeritus of ASMA and is one of America’s leading maritime artists. Stobart, a graduate of the Royal Academy of Arts in London, came to the United States in 1957. Stobart pioneered the field of recreating the great harbors of the American sea trade during the glory days of sail. His paintings depict historically accurate and highly detailed renditions of tall ships berthed in both the East and West Coast ports. Stobart was the Featured Artist of the 1st and the 10th Annual Maritime Art Exhibitions at Coos Art Museum. His work along with paintings by featured artists of the last 10 Annual Maritime Art Exhibitions will be on display in the Perkins Gallery of the Museum simultaneously with the main maritime art exhibit.
In honor of the twentieth anniversary of the Annual Maritime Art Exhibition we have assembled a juror panel of four Oregon artists who helped originate the exhibition in 1993. These artists include:
Juror Dutch Mostert of North Bend, OR, Western Regional Representative and Signature Member of ASMA
Juror Don McMichael of North Bend, OR, Signature Member of ASMA
Juror Jim Davenport of Coos Bay, OR
Juror Charles Edmunds of Charleston, OR
- Open to all members of American Society of Marine Artists, International Society of Marine Painters and artists who create marine related two-dimensional original paintings in oil, acrylic, pastel, watercolors or sculptures.
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art.
- Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
- Submissions are to be ‘recent works’, ones that have been created within the past five (5) years (created in 2007 or newer).
- Works that are accepted must be the same as the digital images or slides entered.
- Paintings – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction this includes the frame and weight limitation of 20 lbs.
- Sculpture – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction and weight limitation of 25 lbs.
- Prints (photo serigraphs, digital or giclée) and photography are not eligible.
Submissions can be either digital files or slides.
Artist may submit a total of up to three (3) entries with a single, non-refundable entry fee of $35.
- Digital files must be in jpg format minimum of 300 dpi at approximately 5” x 7” – 8” x 10” all on one CD-ROM. All CD’s must be labeled, on the outside, with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, date completed, and size of the artwork. Name the electronic files as follows:
A_title of work.jpg
B_title of work.jpg
Abbreviate as needed on the electronic file name, but be sure the entry form has complete information.
- NO SLIDE SHOWS, FLASH FILES, THUMBNAILS etc.
- NO SUBMISSIONS VIA EMAIL WILL BE ALLOWED
- SLIDES must be 2″ by 2″ mounted, each marked with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, date completed, and size of the painting. Please denote top of the work on slide and submit in a plastic jacket.
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art. Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
All information on the original entry as to title, size and price must remain the same on the accepted entry. Entries must be original in concept, composition and execution. Artwork created under the supervision of an instructor is not eligible. Artwork must not be copied, in part or wholly from any published or copyrighted work.
Submissions deadline is a postmark of May 4, 2013, received no later than May 10, 2013. Include a check or money order for $35 for up to 3 entries, made out to the Coos Art Museum (non-refundable entry fee) with the submissions and completed entry form. Send to: Coos Art Museum, 235 Anderson Ave., Coos Bay, OR 97420. ATTN: Maritime. Include with your entry a resume and a self-addressed, 6×9 stamped envelope (SASE) for submission returns, acceptance letter and shipping info / rejection letter information.
Notice of acceptance/rejection will be sent via US MAIL by May 17, 2013.
General Specifications for Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding artwork specifications will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, all accepted painted works must be framed and ready for hanging prior to arrival, and be no more than 60 inches in any one direction, including the frame, nor weigh more than 20 lbs. All accepted sculptures, must be no more than 60 inches in any one direction nor weigh more than 25 lbs. All accepted works will be insured by the Museum from time of arrival until departure.
Works in the exhibition may be available for sale. Artist agrees to donate 30% of any sale to Coos Art Museum. Artist is to be paid three weeks from end of show. Please price your works with this in mind. Your entry confirms all terms of this agreement.
Shipping of Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding shipping will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, each accepted artist is responsible for the cost of transporting artwork to and from the Coos Art Museum. A $20 handling fee will be charged by the Museum for artwork that is shipped to the Museum without prepaid arrangements or prepaid shipping label in addition to shipping charges. The handling fee covers the time and effort to uncrate, inventory, tag, re-crate works of art and to work with couriers and shipping companies.
Judging and Awards:
Panel of 4 maritime artists will jury the submissions. 4 awards will be given out at the dinner, awards, and art auction event following the Plein Air Paint out on Saturday, August 3, 2013.
- Best of Show will receive a cash prize of $500.00 – selected by John Stobart, Featured Artist.
- Oregon International Port of Coos Bay Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by Port Official.
- Coos Art Museum Board of Directors Choice will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by CAM Board.
- People’s Choice Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by a vote of museum attendees.
- May 4, 2013 – Deadline for submissions sent to Coos Art Museum.
- May 17, 2013 – Notification of acceptance/rejection and return of non-selected submissions.
- July 20, 2013 – Deadline for registration for Plein-Air Paint Out and Dinner.
- July 27, 2013 – Deadline for receiving accepted artwork.
- August 3, 2013 – Plein Air Paint Out, dinner, awards, and art auction.
- October 5, 2013 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 4 – 6 pm.
- October 6, 2013 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 10am – 12:30pm.
- October 8 – 11, 2013 – Artwork returned via couriers.