2019 Expressions West: CALL TO ARTISTS
Opening Night Reception & Awards Ceremony – Friday, April 19, 2019, 5-7 p.m.
Coos Art Museum, 235 Anderson Ave, Coos Bay, OR 97420
1st: $1000, 2nd: $750, 3rd: $250, 4 honorable mention ribbons
Artists residing in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming are invited to provide up to three submissions.
ELIGIBLE ART MEDIUMS:
Allowed with the following criteria
• Paintings – limitation of 48 inches by 96 inches – this includes the frame.
• Drawings – limitation of 48 inches by 96 inches – this includes the frame.
• Hand pulled prints – limitation of 48 inches by 96 inches – this includes the frame.
• Mixed media – limitation of 48 inches by 96 inches – this includes the frame.
• Fiber & textiles – limitation of 48 inches by 96 inches – this includes the frame or mounting device.
• Fiber & textiles – wearable – must supply display device
• Small sculptures – weight limitation of 50 lbs. and 48″ inches by 96 inches.
• Glass – blown, fused or leaded stained – if to be suspended, must include a secure hanging or display device.
• Turned and carved wood – weight limitation of 50 lbs. and 48″ inches by 96 inches.
• Jewelry – only if ALL elements were created by the artist.
Any and all themes of expression define the parameters of acceptable entries.
Each artist can provide a total of up to three (3) submissions. There is a non-refundable fee of $20 for the first submission plus $10 for the second submission plus $10 for the third submission. Artworks submitted must have been created within the last 2 years (2017 – 2019) with a framed size limitation of 48 inches by 96 inches and a weight limitation of 50 pounds.
If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art. Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
Artworks that are accepted must be the same as the images on the files entered no substitutions.
NOTE: If your work is a replica of another person’s work – Title MUST contain notation of the original work and original artist. Example: “……….A Study of the Mona Lisa, by Leonardo DaVinci”
INELIGIBLE ART MEDIUMS:
Photography, video, motion picture film, audio, computer generated digital artworks, giclée prints of original fine art, and furniture.
Deadline for submissions is a postmark of January 31, 2019.
Notice of acceptance will be sent by February 14, 2019
First Place Award will receive cash prize of $1000.
Second Place Award will receive cash prize of $750.
Third Place Award will receive cash prize of $250.
Non Cash Awards
Four Honorable Mention ribbons will also be awarded.
Works in the exhibition may be available for sale. Artist agrees to donate 30% of any sale to Coos Art Museum. PLEASE PRICE YOUR WORKS WITH THIS IN MIND! Sales made from the Museum are final. Artist is to be paid three weeks from end of show. Your entry confirms all terms of this agreement.
Delivery and Pickup of Art Works
Artists whose work is accepted must have artworks delivered to the Museum via carrier service at their own expense for arrival between April 8 and April 12, 2019. Hand delivered work will be received at the museum on Thursday and Friday, April 11, & 12, 2019 between 10 am and 4 pm and Saturday, April 13, 2019 between 1 pm and 4 pm. Coos Art Museum will not pay for return shipment of artwork. Artists must make pre-paid arrangements to have their work returned to them, or may pick up their work in person at the Museum on Saturday June 29, 4-6pm and Sunday June 30, 2019 between 10am and 12:30pm.
Works must be ready for hanging and have a framed size of no more than 48 inches by 96 inches. All work must be labeled on the back with the artist’s name, address, and phone number. Labels must also show the work’s Title, Medium, Date of Creation, and (retail) value of the piece as set by the artist. Art is insured while in the Museum from April 8 through July 5, 2019.
Juror: Geoffrey McCormack
Geoffrey McCormack a Eugene, Oregon artist who has won acclaim for both sculpture and painting. Trained as a sculptor with a Master’s degree from San Jose State University, Geoffrey McCormack’s watercolor paintings have also been widely exhibited, including group shows with the American Watercolor Society, the National Watercolor Society, and the Watercolor Society of Oregon. In the 2018 California Watercolor Association 48th Annual National Exhibition he received the Gold Award – 1st and in the 2009 National Watercolor Society 89th Annual Exhibition he received the “Best of Show” award. Geoffrey has exhibited at Coos Art Museum on several occasions including a 2011 solo-exhibition A Life at the Beach. In 2018, he received the second place award in Expression West.
Coos Art Museum (CAM):
Coos Art Museum is the cornerstone of visual arts on Oregon’s Southern Coast. Through collections, exhibitions and educational programs, we are building an arts and cultural community and promoting the appreciation, understanding and expression of visual art. It is the third oldest art museum in Oregon. CAM traces its roots to the Coos Artist League, active since 1950. Members of the League conducted early operations in storefront locations before moving to a Carnegie Public Library Building. In 1982 Coos Art Museum membership acquired and remodeled the retired US Post Office building, a historical art deco structure built in 1937. Currently, CAM has six active galleries totaling 5,600 square feet of display space and a 600 piece and growing Permanent Collection of mid-20th Century and contemporary American art.
• January 31, 2019 – Deadline for submissions sent to Coos Art Museum.
• February 14, 2019 – Notification of acceptance/rejection and return of non-selected submissions.
• April 13, 2019 – Deadline for receiving accepted artwork.
• April 19, 2019 – Opening reception 5-7 pm
• June 29, 2019 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 4 – 6 pm.
• June 30, 2019 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 10am – 12:30pm.
• July 2 – July 5, 2019 – Artwork returned via couriers.