Saturday, July 11 – Saturday, September 26, 2015
Submission deadline: postmarked by Saturday, May 9, 2015
Download the Entry Form (PDF)
Coos Art Museum continues its tradition of hosting an annual Maritime Art Exhibition on the scenic southern Oregon Coast. Coinciding with the opening of this annual maritime art exhibit is the Plein-Air/Paint out event for maritime painters. A day of painting outdoors on the Coos Bay; the city docks, shipyards, boat basins, sandy beaches, rocky coves, rugged shorelines, dramatic cliffs, lush rain forests and cultured gardens that are all within 10 miles of the Coos Art Museum. The 22nd Annual Maritime Art Exhibition is officially recognized and co-sponsored by the American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA).
Featured Artist: Frank Gaffney of Mountlake Terrace, Washington is a Signature Member and past president of The Puget Sound Group of Northwest Painters and a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists. He is also a member of the Oil Painters of America and Coast Guard Art Program. He attended the Cornish School of Allied Arts in Seattle and the University of Washington. A frequent participant in Coos Art Museum’s Annual Maritime Art Exhibition, Gaffney received an Award of Merit in 2008 and 2010 and the Directors Award in 2009.
Juror: Carolyn Hesse-Low is a Signature Member of the American Society of Marine Artists, the National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society, the National Watercolor Society, the American Impressionist Society, and the California Art Club. Her work has been featured in Southwest Art, American Art Collector, and Art of the West Magazines and appears in several books, including California Light, A Century of Landscapes, as well as Land of Sunlight: Paintings of San Diego County. She has received numerous awards, including Best of Show at San Luis Obispo Art Museum, Best Studio Landscape Award from PleinAir Salon, Publisher’s Choice Award from PleinAir Magazine, and Award of Excellence at Plein Air Southwest Salon.
Juror: Ivan Kelly is a painter of light and landscapes, a signature member of the American Society of Marine Artists and a resident of Toledo, Oregon. His recent exhibitions include participation in 16th National exhibition of ASMA, Pacific Maritime Heritage Center in Newport, Oregon and a 2013 exhibition at the Oregon State Capitol in Salem. Kelly was raised in Ireland and immigrated to Canada in 1972, where he began the practice of plein air painting in the Canadian Rockies. In 1993 he moved to Toledo where his studio/gallery was built.
Juror: Paul Mullally, a resident of Seattle, draws upon an interest in art history and extensive travels to select subjects for his paintings. Mullally earned his art degree from Seattle University, studied at the Art Students League and the Salmagundi Club in New York. He also spent two years painting at the Palette and Chisel Club in Chicago, where he was influenced by Richard Schmid. Paul has participated in many invitational exhibitions including the Great American Artists, in Cincinnati, Ohio and the Masters of the American West, at the Autry Museum in Los Angeles, California. Mullaly is a Fellow of the American Society of Marine Artists.
- Open to all artists producing original maritime themed art works in painting and sculpture, including members of American Society of Marine artists and International Society of Marine Painters.
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art.
- Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
- Submissions are to be ‘recent works’, ones that have been created within the past five (5) years (created in 2010 or newer).
- Works that are accepted must be the same as the digital images entered.
- Paintings – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction this includes the frame and weight limitation of 20 lbs.
- Sculpture – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction and weight limitation of 25 lbs.
- Prints (photo serigraphs, digital or giclée) and photography are not eligible.
Submission by digital files on compact disk.
Artist may submit a total of up to three (3) entries with a single, non-refundable entry fee of $35. Download the Entry Form (PDF)
- Digital files must be in jpg format minimum of 300 dpi at approximately 5” x 7” – 8” x 10” all on one CD-ROM. All CD’s must be labeled, on the outside, with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, date completed, and size of the artwork. Name the electronic files as follows:
A_title of work.jpg
B_title of work.jpg
Abbreviate as needed on the electronic file name, but be sure the entry form has complete information.
- NO SLIDE SHOWS, FLASH FILES, THUMBNAILS etc.
- NO SUBMISSIONS VIA EMAIL WILL BE ALLOWED
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art. Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
All information on the original entry as to title, size and price must remain the same on the accepted entry. Entries must be original in concept, composition and execution. Artwork created under the supervision of an instructor is not eligible. Artwork must not be copied, in part or wholly from any published or copyrighted work. Download the Entry Form (PDF)
Submissions deadline is a postmark of May 9, 2015, received no later than May 15, 2015. Include a check or money order for $35 for up to 3 entries, made out to the Coos Art Museum (non-refundable entry fee) with the submissions and completed entry form. Send to: Coos Art Museum, 235 Anderson Ave., Coos Bay, OR 97420. ATTN: Maritime. Include with your entry a resume and a self-addressed, 6×9 stamped envelope (SASE) for submission returns, acceptance letter and shipping info / rejection letter information.
Notice of acceptance/rejection will be sent via US MAIL by May 29, 2015.
General Specifications for Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding artwork specifications will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, all accepted painted works must be framed and ready for hanging prior to arrival, and be no more than 60 inches in any one direction, including the frame, nor weigh more than 20 lbs. All accepted sculptures, must be no more than 60 inches in any one direction nor weigh more than 25 lbs. All accepted works will be insured by the Museum from time of arrival until departure.
Works in the exhibition may be available for sale. Artist agrees to donate 30% of any sale to Coos Art Museum. Artist is to be paid three weeks from end of show. Please price your works with this in mind. Sales made from the Museum are final. Your entry confirms all terms of this agreement.
Shipping of Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding shipping will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, each accepted artist is responsible for the cost of transporting artwork to and from the Coos Art Museum. A $20 handling fee will be charged by the Museum for artwork that is shipped to the Museum without prepaid arrangements or prepaid shipping label in addition to shipping charges. The handling fee covers the time and effort to uncrate, inventory, tag, re-crate works of art and to work with couriers and shipping companies.
Judging and Awards:
Panel of 3 maritime artists will jury the submissions. 4 awards will be given out at the dinner, awards, and art auction event following the Plein Air Paint out on Saturday, July 11, 2015.
- Best of Show will receive a cash prize of $750.00 – selected by, Featured Artist.
- Oregon International Port of Coos Bay Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by Port Official.
- Coos Art Museum Board of Directors Choice will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by CAM Board.
- People’s Choice Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by a vote of museum attendees.
- May 9, 2015 – Deadline for submissions sent to Coos Art Museum.
- May 29, 2015 – Notification of acceptance/rejection and return of non-selected submissions.
- June 20, 2015 – Deadline for registration for Plein-Air Paint Out and Dinner.
- July 3, 2015 – Deadline for receiving accepted artwork.
- July 11, 2015 – Plein Air Paint Out, dinner, awards, and art auction.
- September 26, 2015 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 4 – 6 pm.
- September 27, 2015 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 10am – 12:30pm.
- September 29 – October 2, 2015 – Artwork returned via couriers.