Spaces available: 65
This number may include spaces booked, but not yet paid. Payment is required to guarantee your space.
Date(s) - Wednesday, 06/17/15 - Wednesday, 08/19/15
1:30 pm - 3:30 pm iCal
Coos Art Museum
KIDS@CAM Summer Art Camp for children ages 10 to 13 years old takes place every Wednesday from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. starting June 17, 2015 through August 19, 2015. Mix and match days based on your child’s summer schedule and interests.
Per class fee is $20 for CAM members and $25 for non-members. All materials will be provided. *If you sign up for all 10 class days, use coupon code KIDS@CAM to receive your discount and a KIDS@CAM tee shirt (be sure to put child’s tee shirt size in the booking “comments” section below).
Each day we will have a special guest speaker for the first 1/2 hour to an hour. Each guest will introduce us to a particular topic on which we will base that day’s art lesson and project. This format of integrated learning keeps academic knowledge fresh while promoting creativity and artistic expression. Guest lecturers or presenters may bring a variety of natural resources, plants, insects, animals, etc. so that there will be hands-on learning from both the science and art perspective.
Children’s art instructor, Jessica Morrison, will develop a unique art lesson and project based on each day’s science topic. Jessica has a B.S. in Education with an Emphasis in Fine Arts. She is a 2011 graduate of Northern Arizona University and has extensive background teaching young children in an academic setting and as a U.S. Peace Corps Education Specialist.
- June 17: PREHISTORIC FORESTS AND ANIMALS
- Let’s travel into the past with FarWest Lapidary & Gem Society member Don Innes and find out about prehistoric forests and animals!
- June 24: TREES OF THE SOUTH COAST
- There is way more to our impressive trees of the south coast than meets the eye. Come find out what Assistant Professor and OSU Extension Forester Tristan Huff has to say about this exciting topic.
- July 1: EELGRASS
- It’s all about eelgrass today! Megan Joyce, South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve’s AmeriCorps member, will be speaking to us about the diverse group of organisms living in the eelgrass.
- July 8: HORTICULTURE
- Liv Drahos from Fat Dog Farm will share some really cool things about horticulture and there might even be “a sprout or two, just for you”!
- July 15: WESTERN SNOWY PLOVER
- Our special guest today will be BLM Park Ranger Sarah Schapira who will be speaking about the Western Snowy Plover.
- July 22: FISH ADAPTATIONS
- ODFW’s District Fish Biologist Mike Gray will be presenting today’s topic “Fish Adaptations.” Prepare to be amazed by the incredible and sometimes truly ‘weird’ evolutionary adaptations that fish have in order to survive.
- July 29: PLASTICS IN THE OCEAN
- Annie Pollard of Surfrider Foundation’s Coos Bay Chapter will provide insight into the complexities of plastics and their impact on the ocean.
- August 5: IT’S A MYSTERY!
- Today’s guest speaker is a mystery! Are you ready for whatever wild and crazy science topic that might come your way?
- August 12: ROCKS FOR ART
- A special guest from the FarWest Lapidary & Gem Society will share with us ways rocks are used in carving and/or beading.
- August 19: CLUCK, CLUCK
- Come visit with “Anna”, one of the sweetest chickens you will ever meet! Our very own Director of Art Education Stephanie Donaldson will introduce you to her and give some insight into raising backyard chickens.
**Class topic may change based on instructor’s discretion. Coos Art Museum reserves the right to replace guest speaker/topic for scheduling purposes.**
For online registration please use the booking form below. One booking form per child. A limited number of scholarships are available for eligible children. Please contact us sooner rather than later if you intend on applying for a scholarship as our Scholarship Committee will require time to review the paperwork. Questions? Contact CAM’s Art Education Department at (541) 267-3901 or email@example.com.
BookingsAfter you submit your booking you will receive an automated "Pending Booking" email with payment instructions. Once payment has been received your booking will be approved by our administrators after which time you will receive a "Booking Confirmed" email guaranteeing your space. Your booking will not be confirmed until payment has been received. Booking does not guarantee your space. Booking AND paying is required to hold your space. You may lose your spot in class if you register, but do not pay promptly and someone else registers AND pays. Please review our Art Ed FAQ prior to registering.
Bookings are closed for this event.