Saturday, July 14 – Saturday, September 22, 2012
Submission deadline: postmarked by Saturday, April 14, 2012 (download entry form)
Coos Art Museum continues its tradition of hosting an annual Maritime Art Exhibition on the scenic southern Oregon Coast. Coinciding with the opening of this annual maritime art exhibit is the Plein-Air/Paint out event for maritime painters. A day of painting outdoors on the Coos Bay; the city docks, shipyards, boat basins, sandy beaches, rocky coves, rugged shorelines, dramatic cliffs, lush rain forests and cultured gardens that are all within 10 miles of the Coos Art Museum. The 19th Annual Maritime Art Exhibition is officially recognized and co-sponsored by the American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA).
Featured Artist: Harold W. Johnson is a regular participant in Coos Art Museum’s Annual Maritime Art Exhibitions. In the 18th Annual he won the “People’s Choice Award” for his painting “My Friends at the Dock” and in the 16th he won both the “People’s Choice Award” and the “Port Award.” Johnson has exhibited with Arts for the Parks – National Parks at the Smithsonian, the National Wilderness Show, and the Pacific Rim Wildlife Show. He is largely self taught, and has been painting full-time since the late sixties. Johnson recently took the second-place prize at the International Waters Exhibit in Ventura, California – an exhibit organized by the International Society of Marine Painters. He is a lifetime member of the Puget Sound Group of Northwest Painters, a member of the International Society of Marine Painters, and the American Society of Marine Artists.
Juror: Norma Jay is a Fellow Emeritus of the American Society of Marine Art and was the first woman to achieve Fellow status in ASMA. She has studied at the Wichita State University, Art Institute of Chicago, California State University, and Laguna Beach School of Art. Norma has been a featured artist at many maritime and art museums, including: Mariners Museum, Newport Beach, California, Orange County Marine Institute, and the Nautical Heritage Museum, Dana Point, California. She was the Featured Artist at CAM’s Annual Maritime Art Exhibition in 1998. Her work has been highlighted in articles in Southwest Art magazine, Sea History, Nautical Quarterly, and Orange County Illustrated among others.
Juror: Buck Braden is widely known for both maritime painting and for figural work. Buck received his M.A. in Art/Printmaking from Fort Hays State University in Hays, Kansas and went on to study figure painting and drawing at Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland, Oregon. His maritime paintings have been exhibited at the Maritime Museum of San Diego, Newport Harbor Nautical Museum, Oregon Maritime Museum, Kirsten Gallery in Seattle and the Mystic Maritime Gallery in Mystic, Connecticut. Buck has exhibited at Coos Art Museum’s Annual Maritime Art Exhibition since 1994 and the museum’s Expressions West competition.
Juror: Alan Ryall is a signature member of both the American Society of Marine Artists and the International Society of Marine Painters. Alan has had paintings in juried and/or invitational maritime art exhibitions in museums on both coasts and has won numerous awards. Alan has been a regular participant in Coos Art Museum maritime art exhibitions since 1999. In 2008 he was elected one of two ASMA Representatives for the Western US, and in 2009 he was appointed to the ASMA Board of Directors.
- Open to all members of American Society of Marine Artists, International Society of Marine Painters and artists who create marine related two-dimensional original paintings in oil, acrylic, pastel, watercolors or sculptures.
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art.
- Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
- Submissions are to be ‘recent works’, ones that have been created within the past five (5) years (created in 2006 or newer).
- Works that are accepted must be the same as the digital images or slides entered.
- Paintings – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction this includes the frame and weight limitation of 20 lbs.
- Sculpture – limitation of 60 inches in any one direction and weight limitation of 25 lbs.
- Prints (photo serigraphs, digital or giclée) and photography are not eligible.
Submissions can be either digital files or slides.
Artist may submit a total of up to three (3) entries with a single, non-refundable entry fee of $35.
- Digital files must be in jpg format minimum of 300 dpi at approximately 5” x 7” – 8” x 10” all on one CD-ROM. All CD’s must be labeled, on the outside, with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, date completed, and size of the artwork. Name the electronic files as follows:
A_title of work.jpg
B_title of work.jpg
Abbreviate as needed on the electronic file name, but be sure the entry form has complete information.
- NO SLIDE SHOWS, FLASH FILES, THUMBNAILS etc.
- NO SUBMISSIONS VIA EMAIL WILL BE ALLOWED
- SLIDES must be 2″ by 2″ mounted, each marked with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium, date completed, and size of the painting. Please denote top of the work on slide and submit in a plastic jacket.
- If you are submitting a work that is part of a series, the submitted piece MUST be unique and distinguishable from any of your other works of art. Works that have previously been exhibited at Coos Art Museum are NOT eligible.
All information on the original entry as to title, size and price must remain the same on the accepted entry. Entries must be original in concept, composition and execution. Artwork created under the supervision of an instructor is not eligible. Artwork must not be copied, in part or wholly from any published or copyrighted work.
Submissions deadline is a postmark of April 14, 2012, received no later than April 18, 2012. Include a check or money order for $35 for up to 3 entries, made out to the Coos Art Museum (non-refundable entry fee) with the submissions and completed entry form. Send to: Coos Art Museum, 235 Anderson Ave., Coos Bay, OR 97420. ATTN: Maritime. Include with your entry a resume and a self-addressed, 6×9 stamped envelope (SASE) for submission returns, acceptance letter and shipping info / rejection letter information.
Notice of acceptance/rejection will be sent via US MAIL by May 4, 2012.
General Specifications for Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding artwork specifications will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, all accepted painted works must be framed and ready for hanging prior to arrival, and be no more than 60 inches in any one direction, including the frame, nor weigh more than 20 lbs. All accepted sculptures, must be no more than 60 inches in any one direction nor weigh more than 25 lbs. All accepted works will be insured by the Museum from time of arrival until departure.
Works in the exhibition may be available for sale. Artist agrees to donate 30% of any sale to Coos Art Museum. Artist is to be paid three weeks from end of show. Please price your works with this in mind. Your entry confirms all terms of this agreement.
Shipping of Accepted Works of Art
Detailed information regarding shipping will be sent with acceptance notifications. However, each accepted artist is responsible for the cost of transporting artwork to and from the Coos Art Museum. A $20 handling fee will be charged by the Museum for artwork that is shipped to the Museum without prepaid arrangements or prepaid shipping label in addition to shipping charges. The handling fee covers the time and effort to uncrate, inventory, tag, re-crate works of art and to work with couriers and shipping companies.
Judging and Awards:
Panel of 3 maritime artists will jury the submissions. 4 awards will be given out at the dinner, awards, and art auction event following the Plein Air Paint out on Saturday, July 14, 2012.
- Best of Show will receive a cash prize of $500.00 – selected by Harold W. Johnson, Featured Artist.
- Oregon International Port of Coos Bay Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by Port Official.
- Coos Art Museum Board of Directors Choice will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by CAM Board.
- People’s Choice Award will receive a cash prize of $250.00 – selected by a vote of museum attendees.
- April 14, 2012 – Deadline for submissions sent to Coos Art Museum. (download entry form)
- May 4, 2012 – Notification of acceptance/rejection and return of non-selected submissions.
- June 30, 2012 – Deadline for registration for Plein-Air Paint Out and Dinner.
- July 7, 2012 – Deadline for receiving accepted artwork.
- July 14, 2012 – Plein Air Paint Out, dinner, awards, and art auction.
- September 22, 2012 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 4 – 6 pm.
- September 23, 2012 – Hand retrieval of artwork from 10am – 12:30pm.
- September 25 – 28, 2012 – Artwork returned via couriers.